Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Steam Chocolate Cake ......my sweet indulgence


I love chocolates! But.....not chocolate flavored food nor desserts. Hence, I hardly incorporate chocolate into my baking and seldom would I opt to bake anything chocolaty. My only interest is to pop the chocolate into my mouth to savor the rich, creamy and melting sensation, plus the sweet aromatic after taste, which I don't get from cakes or pastries. The closest I recall doing was to scoop spoonfuls of milo powder and consume it directly.


After living in Jakarta for some time, I have confirmed through observation that the most widely preferred flavored cakes or dessert are either chocolate or cheese based. Should you want to buy or make a cake for someone here, I strongly suggest to consider chocolate or cheese cake since it will be well accepted.

Today I found a huge block of cooking chocolate while rummaging through my baking supplies. Seeing the product expiry looming near, I decided to use it for baking a cake.  To my surprise, the steam cake turns out moist and fluffy, unlike most of the chocolate cakes I baked




Steam Chocolate Cake

Ingredients (A)
180g butter
120g Castor sugar
200g Evaporated milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp Grand Marnier Cognac (optional)

Ingredients (B)
2 Eggs, Slightly Beaten

Ingredients (C)
100g Cake Flour
50g Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp baking soda


Directions 
  • Heat up steamer. Lined a 7 inch round baking pan with baking paper.
  • Combine (A) in a saucepan and cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved and butter melted.  Remove saucepan from stove and set aside to cool.
  • With a hand whisk, add (B) into the above mixture and mix well.
  •  Sift (C) into a mixing bowl, pour the (A) & (B) mixture over the flour and stir until combined. (Note : The batter should be runny)
  • Pour the batter into the baking pan. Lightly cover the top with aluminum foil. Transfer the pan into the steamer and set over medium heat for 45 mins.
  • Cool the cake completely before turning out

For the Glaze / Finishing

221g cooking chocolate
143g butter, coarsely chopped
1-1/4 tsp corn syrup

40g white cooking chocolate (for marbling)



Directions :  
  • Double boil the chocolate, butter and corn syrup in a  heatproof bowl until almost melted. Remove the glaze from the heat and set aside to allow to melt completely. Stir once or twice until smooth. Leave aside to cool until it reached spreadable consistency.
  • Transfer 1/4 of the above glaze to another bowl. Use an icing spatula to spread the glaze over the cake. Crumb coat a thin layer over the cake. Refrigerate the crumb coated cake for 5-8 mins.
  • In another heat proof bowl, heat the white chocolate over double boiler. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat and set aside for later use.
  • Reheat the remaining cooking chocolate from earlier until 32 degrees C. Pour / Sieve the warm chocolate through a fine strainer.
  • Place the cake on a turntable ( I opted direct method to save time). Pour all the glaze over the cake. Work quickly while turning the turntable and using several strokes, spread the glaze over the cake so that it runs down the sides.
  • Drizzle the white chocolate over the top of the cake. Drag through the glaze with a  toothpick or fine art brush to create patterns / designs. I didn't do well on this part as the chocolate glaze dried up to soon before I could complete the pattern.
  • Allow the glaze of the cake to set at room temperature. Store at room temperature.                





No comments :

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...